Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Monday, March 07, 2011

Sukkat Kolambi Samudra Methi

This concoction resulted from my wandering around in Dadar West. I remember buying these dried shrimps from a sukkat seller in Gokhalenagar in Pune when I used to stay there. After striking a deal with the Samudra Methi seller I was looking for cheap lemon when I chanced upon this kindly looking lady smiling at me and sitting and selling sukkat. 
I learnt in Pune that dried fish is called 'sukkat' in Maharahstra. Now I am not saying "in Marathi" since I am not sure if this word is Konkani or from the Koli (fisher folks) community.

Anyways. I left buying two small packets from her and also learning that this is called Kolambi (shrimp I presume in the local patois). Googling the word 'kolambi' however shows  up fresh prawns. So I'll stick to 'kolambi' to describe this ingredient but I'll dig around and find out what it is called.
  


The dried shrimp is not that stinky when dry but definitely needs to be washed. Several times. I used warm water, following the instructions of the lady who sold me the shrimp.
A soak and a couple of rinses later the kolambi looks good too cook.

I got out a couple of tomatoes to add some body and got out a few cloves of garlic as well. 



The garlic cloves were soon smashed and sizzling in the pan till a 'little' brownish at the edges, and then the chopped tomoatoes joined them.

Once the tomatoes were a wee little gooey, I put in the shrimp aiming to capture their flavour in the tomatoes and vice-versa.

The samudra methi went into the pan in two lots. I first put in the root bits since I wanted a little moisture to cook the prawns and then I put in the leafy bits since I wanted the green bits to add some texture when I ate it as well.


Now, this is the impromptu part... I smashed and added some unsalted roasted peanuts into the mix to quickly absorb the moisture (since I was getting quite late) and make the entire curry denser. Worked out quite well, since I was expecting a bit of a disaster (in terms of taste).


And,that, was the end result nestled in my lunch box :)


 By the way... I added VERY little salt since the shrimp is dried (and preserved) in salt. (This tip again was courtesy the lady selling me the shrimp... I would have landed with pretty inedible stuff otherwise!)




Addtional Info:


Devayani just mailed me and helped me with some more info about "kolambi"... To quote her:


"kolambi is the fresh shrimps and sungat (more
konkani??) or sukkat (more marathi??) is the dried shrimps. :)

Here is a typical recipe for sungat
http://konkanrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/12/sukkile-sungata-kismuri-dried-shrimp.html "


Thank you Devayani :)

No comments: