Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Monday, February 21, 2011

Chappati Rolls 01 - Egg and Honey Mustard

Subarna wanted something that is quick to make and reasonably tasty for her to cook for herself and her kiddo. I often make Chappati Rolls in the morning since they are some of the quickest things to make when you are rushing out on your way to work.

I'd boiled the eggs the night before but did not shell them and keep since they'd become quite rubbery in the fridge by morning.

Piping hot chappatis are available at a restaurant that is minutes from my place from 5AM to 1AM. At Rs 3 a pop it is a HUGE persuasion for me NOT to make them :).

I put it two teaspoons of mustard powder into my espresso cup along with a pinch of powdered ajwain (to make for an interesting twist :) ) and them dribbled in a little honey along with a few drops of nice olive oil. It is very easy to make the mix too sweet so it is always better to add the honey in a dribble at a time. This way I can adjust the 'hit' from the mustard along with the cloying sweetness of the honey.




Next I quickly sliced the cucumber (to get some crunch) and some tomatoes to get some squishy tang and layered them on the chappati.




I did not add salt and seasoning now since the cucumber and the tomato slices would immediately release some of the moisture and make the entire thing soggy.

Next I sliced the egg and layered that as well. If I layer the lot I get distinct swathes of taste and texture compared to the situation where I just mix them all up...



The honey mustard seasoning went on top of all this...



As an afterthought I chopped and added a sprig of coriander leaves to add to the interesting mix of flavours.


And... this is straight after I chomped a bite of my brunch :)

5 comments:

Madhuri Shinde said...

I'll try this :)

My World Views said...

Interesting post...thank gawd, you start recipes. Time for me to follow you and not starve throughout the lunch hours. Thanks Iggy!

Unknown said...

Thanks Iggy!! looks awesome.... I am sure it will be yummy...
- Subarna

Soul on fire said...

Delicious!...I am definitely gonna try it with english mustard sauce and some lemon zest for that extra tangyness

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario said...

"Soul on Fire" is a Shubha I assume :)

Try orange juice and cinnamon instead with a spoon of Guru's tipple :)