Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Monday, February 14, 2011

Phulkopir Torkari

This started out as a make-do curry cooked for a quick lunch. After some incessant gorging on yummy Bengali wedding food at Vaswar's marriage, I just wanted some simple home cooked food. I took what ever was there in the fridge and in the spice cupboard and put this together.

First I smashed some ginger and tossed it in with paanch phoron (Bengali mix of five whole spices) and two medium sized tomatoes in mustard oil. To this I added a little turmeric and some Kashmiri chilly powder to add some colour.

I then added the chopped cauliflower (phulkopi in Bengali) florets and coated the mixture. Covered the cooking vessel and let it cook a bit.

  Once the cauliflower is cooked a little I added some peas (the last few peas from a retreating winter :( ) and then the chopped methi.



Voila! The phulkopir torkari is ready :)


3 comments:

anchal said...

Igni, this looks healthy and easy to make. :) I have a question - What spices does the paanch phoron consist of? Can I get them separately? Do let me know. Thanks! Anchal

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario said...

Anchal, here's my take on panch phoron. I'm not sure if you 'follow' the blog, so I'm leaving a comment, in case you have a notification set...

Read the post from:

http://eatbhaieat.blogspot.com/2011/02/paanch-phoron.html

urvashi said...

iggi this is so awesome and close to the bihari recipe....can you post ur recipe for the kolkata style egg rolls you made.:)