Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Stir Fry with Sprouts and Corn

I'd left three varieties of sprouts in my fridge when I'd defrosted it last week. I realized that the sprouts had frozen in the renewed vigour of my freshly defrosted fridge.


I realized that I'd have to cook them quickly once thawed or eat them at a single go in a salad. I'd feel like a goat on overdrive if I'd to munch through that much sprouts at one go, so I opted for cooking them for lunch.


I wanted to wander around and enjoy the last fading nip in the morning of Mumbai's fast retreating winter. So, I just gathered whatever I had within an arm's reach to start and quickly end cooking.

I'd a few sachets of ketchup saved from my office canteen orders and my last trip to Nirula's (many months ago). I also got out a few cloves of garlic and a little stub of ginger to add some flavour.

I put in some oil in the non-stick pan and threw in the sliced and quashed garlic and ginger and let it fry on low heat while I woke up the cat and look around from the balcony.


Once I got a whiff of the garlic caramelizing and threw in the sprout and stirred them around a bit.


I would have preferred to use the wok and retain the crunchyness of the sprouts, but opted for the pan since I'd use less oil and in any case a trip in the tiffin box would make the sprouts soggy by lunch.

I mixed a little dark soya sauce with the ketchup and kept it ready.

As an afterthought, I thawed some corn.

With the sprouts ready, I put in the corn and then added  the soya-ketchup mix and then packed things up and got ready for office.

2 comments:

crypticrow said...

you seriously are an innovative and impromptu cook :D this one looks yummm! will try it next week for breakfast and not lunch :D

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario said...

I liked the burnt garlic taste, but honestly add the garlic later, it does not caramelize as well as the garlic in this recipe... Let me know how it goes...