Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Monday, April 11, 2011

Chocolate Sponge - The Foam Cake Quest begins...

I'd already tried the standard ritual of making a plain sponge cake to test the oven when it first came in. So I decided to add a little bit more by adding cocoa to the standard ingredients when I wanted to make the foam cake 'series'.

As a part of my new drive to reduce waste, I have started recycling aluminum foil at least once (if it is not soiled). So I re-used washed and dried used aluminum foil to line the baking tins. 


I started by sieving in half a cup of flour with a quarter cup of cocoa, and 
½ tsp baking powder along with ¼ tsp Baking Soda.


I pulsed ½ cup demerara sugar in the grinder to make it more powdery.


Next I separated three yolks and added a whole egg into a mixing bowl.


I whipped the yolks with half the sugar till they almost tripled in volume.


Next I gently sieved in the flour and cocoa mixture and folded everything in taking care not to deflate the foam too much.


This done, I washed the whipping blades, dried them and then whipped the three egg whites with the remaining sugar as well, till they were stiff and I could hold them upside down without dripping.


I folded this in as well and then scooped up the batter into the tins. I added a cucumber and melon seeds to add a little bit of crunch on top and then baked the cakes for about 25 min.


Once done I peeled off the lining and let them cool before slicing it up to take for Subha, Harini, and Peter's 'shop warming' party. :)






Ingredients:
½ cup Plain Flour
¼ cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
½ cup Demerara Sugar
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Baking Soda 
4 Eggs

4 comments:

X said...

This is superb! It's time you monetised your blog, or at least got a site for yourself. I see your career here!

The Ketchup Girl said...

lovely. Add a hint of cinnamon to this to give it a spicy flavour :). I'm very weary of attempting sponges...must take some inspiration from u :)

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario said...

@Apa- I've tried adding both cinnamon and nutmeg (separately as well as together) in earlier sponge efforts. :)
I hate the fake vanilla thing...

I'll now be trying the other varieties and see what happens (genoise etc.)

Ignatius Nayan D'Rozario said...

@X Thank you for the encouragement :) I shall think about monetizing ...