Listen to this blog or subscribe to my podcast

Sunday, April 10, 2011

The foam cake quest...

Now that I have started baking I want to try out the various 'basic' cake 'types' too experience the techniques as well as the textures they produce...

I stumbled upon
this nice site that very succinctly defined the basic cake families and nudged me onwards towards the quest 

My research told me that 
I have always made (and had) Butter or Shortened Cakes.
Now, Butter cakes, also called shortened cakes or creamed cakes, are supposed to contain butter, margarine or vegetable shortening, which contribute to a finely textured, tender and moist cake.

So now, I want to make Foam Cakes. St
rictly speaking, a foam cake contains no leavening or fat other than what is there in the eggs. Baking powder and baking soda are not necessary in these recipes. These cakes need to be baked as soon as they are ready or the egg whites will probably deflate. 

No comments: